Search

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Common Job Interview Questions and my answers

Due to popular demand, and the constant text messages that I keep receiving from my students when they're applying for a job, here are some common call center job interview questions and how I would answer them. Please take note that these are MY answers, you can use them as a pattern in formulating your own. When you recite your answers, do it with enthusiasm and don't sound desperate. You have to be excited about the opportunity to work in the organization that you're applying for.


1. Tell me something interesting about yourself.

My friends call me Migs. I'm a jolly person by nature, I usually smile amidst adversities. It is also one of the reasons why people value my friendship. Humor has been attached to my name, I tend to crack a lot of jokes to my friends to cheer them up. I value human interaction which why I can say that I'm a people person as well. I work best under pressure, I guess this can be attributed to all those cramming up for exams during my college years. One good thing that came up from my nerve racking experience during my college years is my ability to handle stress in so many different levels. I don't easily crack when under pressure. I would like to integrate professionalism into my career hence I applied in your company because I know that in the path to career growth, this is one of the first steps that I have to undertake. In line with your companies objectives, I would also like to provide quality in everything that I do and I believe that I can achieve through your company.

Note: No one knows you better than yourself, so this questions shouldn't be difficult for you. Steer away from one-liner answers for not only will it bore the interviewer, it will also leave him room to ask more questions. I know the last part is a little too sounds like you're sucking up to the company, but do keep in mind that you are selling yourself during the job interview and what better way to sell yourself and build rapport by letting the company know that you researched about their company objectives. You're not only giving them compliment, you're also letting them know that you're really interested to be part of their team. With that said, I encourage you to research about the company that you're applying for before you go there. Make a list of the companies that you want to apply in. Whether it's Etelecare, Eperformaxx, Sykes,Teletech, IBM, Convergys, People Support, Chase, Dell, HSBC, NCO, CTI or what have you, it pays to know what they're all about. Take it as part of your preparation.

(Continuation...)

2. Why should we hire you?(no call center experience)

(Assuming that I'm a fresh graduate)
"back in college, as a student, I always make it a point to put quality in everything that I do. Whether it's a project or term paper, I'm very meticulous about my work in school. I have good work ethics and my professors and classmates can vouch for that. When I work as part of a team, I always make sure that everyone is performing to the best of their abilities. I also liked to boost my team mates morale during those long hours of preparing for our thesis. I may have no experience in this field yet I'm highly trainable, I'm excited to work. I can be your open canvass, you can do whatever you want with me as an employee. I believe that with your aid, I can realize my potentials and use it to my advantage. This will allow me to contribute to the company's productivity. I can be your clay, you can mold me into anything you want me to be. Of course, I can only prove all this if you give me a chance and hire me for the position that I'm applying for, right?" (assumptive close!)

Note: This is your chance to sell yourself! So focus on your strengths and capitalize on it. These will be your selling points. Be confident when you tell them about your skills. Use an assumptive close when you're about to end your statement. Let the interviewer know that you're excited to work. Be enthusiastic. Do not forget to smile. A pleasant disposition is always an attractive quality especially for an employee.

3. Tell me about your strengths and weaknesses.

My strength comes from the fact that I always see the positive side of every situation. I always see the opportunity in every difficult situation and I try to keep myself calm amidst the adversity that surrounds me. I believe that you should always keep your anxiety levels at a minimum in order for you to make a rational sound judgment. I also believe that my strength comes from my sense of humor. I find comfort in the fact that I can laugh at my mistakes and bounce right back up to correct it. I acknowledge my imperfections and the fact that everyone is different. With these two qualities combined, I believe that I am also a good motivator because people can relate to me. I have good rapport building skills. I am confident but not cocky. I always tell myself that no matter how difficult the task may be, I can do it if I focus on it. This enhances my flexibility. I'm a people person that's why I know that I'm the right man for this kind of job. I have a genuine interest in helping other people which I think is essential for this type of industry. As for my weaknesses, I have always wanted to learn how to be a good cook. The only things I'm good at, as far as the kitchen is concerned, is putting food inside the microwave. But right now I am asking some friends to teach me the ways of cooking. I am also a bit impatient when it comes to my work. I always want to finish the task that is given to me the soonest time possible. I've realized though that through the years, being impatient, I have a platform to achieve immediate results thereby making me productive.

Note: It is always helpful to establish a list of your strengths and weaknesses. Your strengths are always those that set you apart from others. These are attractive qualities that people like about you. So in making this list, it would help if you consult some of your friends and family what they like about you. This will also help you in elaborating on each quality. As for your weaknesses, it is always best to be non-technical when it comes to giving out some of your weaknesses. Try to stick to weaknesses that does not affect work. It can be your little frustrations in life. It is not enough though that state your weaknesses, you must also tell the interviewer what you are doing about your weaknesses.
Another thing that you need to remember when asked about weaknesses, do not tell the interviewer that you have none or that you cannot think of any weaknesses. This can create a negative impression for it implies that you are not acknowledging your imperfections. No one would hire an employee who thinks that he or she is perfect. They are also hard to train.











2 comments:

leng0630 said...

hi migs!you're really one big help.can't wait to read the continuation.anyways, i really like the way you speak.hope i could be like u or be equal of u when the training ends...dreaming!...hahahahaha

keep up the good work!


it's me, leng!

pinoybagel said...

sweetie, everything is possible if you believe in yourself. Of course, you also have to practice. (wink)